Blackmore End, Beazely End, Four Ashes, and Rotten End, are smaller areas of habitation around Wethersfield extending about two miles West and South West of the Wethersfield church.
Henry de Cornhill held the manor of Wethersfield in the twelfth century, and his heiress carried it in marriage to Hugh de Neville, father of the author of that ancient record near “Testa de Neville.” In 1463, the manor reverted to the Crown, and was annexed to the Duchy of Lancaster, and afterwards held by various families, of the Honor of Clare. Henry VIII. gave it, in exchange, to Sir John Wentworth, of Codham Hall, a fine old mansion near the Blackwater, about 2 miles South East of the village, where the De Codham family were seated many generations after the Conquest, and where they had an extensive park, now converted into fields.
The Clerks, Coggeshall, Cornwillis, Livermore and other ancient families were formerly landowners here. Summmer’s Hall, the handsome residence of Mr. Joseph Cornell, is near Beazeley End, and was formerly the seat of the Semenour family. At Blackmore End are visible remains of a large moat, supposed to have encompassed the ancient seat of the Nevilles, near which was a chapel, in a field where foundations have often been ploughed up.
The four smaller hamlets around Wethersfield are tranquil and beautiful with peaceful walks across open country side, interesting buildings and churches, and a brewery.
Click here for directions from your location to our front door!